The Start and Stop of Play
8 Reasons to Stop and 8 Ways to Restart a Game
- Kick-off to start game and after each goal.
- Throw-in after ball goes out of bounds.
- Goal kick. Awarded to defending team if offense puts the ball over the goal line. Kick from within the safety box.
- Corner kick. Awarded if defending team puts the ball over the goal line. Attacking team restarts the game from the corner nearest where the ball went out.
- Indirect free kick. Awarded when a non-penalty foul occurs. Restart must be away from the goal. Goal scored without another players touch will not count.
- Direct free kick. Awarded when a foul or handball is called and a goal can be scored directly, that is not being touched by a teammate or an opponent.
- Penalty kick. Similar to direct free kick but when infraction occurs in defending teams penalty box.
- Dropped ball. When referee stops play for injury, etc. Ball is dropped from shoulder height between two players.